Kowalski’s culinary and branding director Rachael Perron shares some recipes perfect for holiday entertaining.
You’ve read about Kowalski’s new certified-humane beef program and the steps taken to ensure their meat is top-quality and sourced from ethical producers. Kowalski’s culinary and branding director Rachael Perron shares some recipes that let the flavor of the beef shine through—perfect for holiday entertaining, along with some tasty offerings for those who don’t eat meat.
For hors d’oeuvres:
Yield: 24 pieces | Total time: 35 min.
- 1 Kowalski’s French baguette, sliced 3/4” thick on the diagonal (24 slices)
- Kowalski’s extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Kowalski’s certified-humane USDA prime center-cut beef tenderloin
- 2 tsp. Kowalski’s North Woods grill seasoning blend
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Tbsp. capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brush one side of each baguette slice with oil.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5 min. in preheated oven.
- Turn and bake for more 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Rub tenderloin with seasoning and arrange on a broiler pan.
- Broil uncovered until rare in the center (8-12 min.), turning once. Let stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Slice into ¼ inch thick pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, capers and garlic to make the aioli.
- Arrange a slice of beef on each crostini and top with aioli.
For your entrée:
Easiest Standing Rib Roast
Yield: 8 servings | Total time: 5-6 hours
Active time: 15 min.
Perron says, “For this recipe. DO NOT open the door during the 3 hour rest! It seems strange, but blind faith will be rewarded!”
- 5 lb. Kowalski’s certified-humane
- USDA prime standing rib roast
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground Kowalski’s black peppercorns
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic (Note: not garlic salt.)
- Allow roast to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small dish, mix salt, pepper and garlic powder, then rub mixture evenly onto roast.
- Place roast, rib side down, in a roasting rack and place in oven.
- Roast uncovered in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven, but do not open oven door. Leave roast in the oven for 3 more hours.
- Without opening the oven door, turn oven back to 375° and roast for 45 minutes, or until roast reaches desired temperature.
- Remove from oven and tent loosely with foil.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
Try this dish with a well-balanced, fruity cabernet sauvignon.
And, a starter for vegetarians and vegans that everyone will love:
Yield: 6 servings | Total time: 45 min.
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Kowalski’s veggie spaghetti (from the produce department)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- freshly ground Kowalski’s black peppercorns, to taste
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh mint
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 8 oz. container Kowalski’s jalapeño hummus (or flavor of your choice)
- Cornmeal for coating the fritters
- Your choice of garnishes, such as lemon wedges and fresh mint.
- Toppings, such as Kowalski’s tzatziki sauce, cucumber salsa and/or prepared tabouli (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil until shimmering.
- Add veggies and onion. Cook until golden-brown and fork-tender (2-4 min.), stirring occasionally. Add garlic in last 1 min. of cooking.
- Season veggies with ½ of the salt and pepper. Move to a large mixing bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and set aside.
- Stir rice, cornstarch, parsley, mint and zest into the vegetable mixture.
- Mix in hummus until mixture is homogenous.
- Divide into 12 portions and shape into patties about 1/2” thick.
- Dust each patty on both sides with cornmeal, pressing in lightly.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the fritters to the pan. Cook until dark golden-brown and crispy on the edges, flipping once. (Cook each side for about 4 minutes.)
- Move fritters to a warm platter. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Repeat with remaining oil and patties. Let fritters stand for 5-10 min. before serving with desired garnishes and toppings.
Kowalski’s White Bear Lake Market
4391 South Lake Ave.