The James Beard Awards are among the most prestigious prizes for chefs and restaurants in the United States. It’s common for a few Twin Cities names to populate the semifinalists list, and this year is no exception.
The James Beard Foundation has announced the list of 2019 semifinalists, and 13 local chefs and restaurants made the cut.
- Popol Vuh—Best New Restaurant
- Diane Moua, Spoon and Stable—Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Restaurant Alma—Outstanding Restaurant
- Brenda Langton and Timothy Kane, Spoonriver—Outstanding Restaurateur
- The Bachelor Farmer—Outstanding Wine Program
- Steven Brown, Tilia—Best Chef: Midwest
- Daniel del Prado, Martina—Best Chef: Midwest
- Ann Kim, Young Joni—Best Chef: Midwest
- Jamie Malone, Grand Café—Best Chef: Midwest
- Christina Nguyen, Hai Hai—Best Chef: Midwest
- Karyn Tomlinson, Corner Table—Best Chef: Midwest
- Thomas Boemer, In Bloom—Best Chef: Midwest
- Rikki Giambruno, Hyacinth—Rising Star Chef of the Year
The winners will be announced at the 2019 James Beards Awards Gala on May 6.
The James Beard Awards “recognize culinary professionals for excellence and achievement in their fields.”
Last year, chef Gavin Kaysen of Spoon and Stable won Best Chef: Midwest.