Launch into summer fun with these local activities.
Summertime is here at last. And though this season brings the gorgeous warm days we’ve been waiting for, so too will come the inevitable calls of “I’m bored!” from the littlest members of your family. But don’t fret! To help you through the summer of 2022, we’ve compiled our list of the top 22 family-friendly activities in the communities around White Bear Lake.
Whether you check off these items as a bucket list or use them as a launching point for other adventures, we hope this helps your family make the most out of this Minnesota summer.
- Go for a swim at a local beach. Bellaire Beach or Memorial Beach are just two of many options!
- Jam to a live music performance in Railroad Park at Marketfest. Unique entertainers every Thursday through July 28.
- Have a berry good time strawberry picking at Pine Tree Apple Orchard. Growing season starts in June and ends in early July.
- Catch a fish on one of the area’s many lakes. Don’t have a boat? Pontoon rentals are available from Pontoons on Bald Eagle and Tally’s Dockside.
- Complete your summer reading list at a Ramsey County Library branch. Look into its summer reading programs, catered to multiple age groups, at ramseycounty.us.
- Support local growers and makers at the White Bear Lake Farmers Market. Every Friday from June through October, 8 a.m. to noon.
- Explore the trails and Discovery Hollow at Tamarack Nature Center. Day camps are also available for kids from ages 3–14.
- Have fun in the sun at Big Marine Park Reserve’s large creative playground and beach.
- Cool down with a tasty treat from Cup and Cone. This local favorite has served old-school cones and sundaes in downtown White Bear Lake since 1973.
- Hop on your bicycle for a ride along the Lake Links Trail. If traveling through Mahtomedi, make sure to stop for refreshments at The Wild Bean.
- Take in the views from Manitou Bridge as you walk to Manitou Island. This spot is significant to White Bear Lake’s Native American heritage.
- Join the world’s largest treasure hunt and search for some of Ramsey County’s 40 geocaches. Bonus points if you register and hide your own cache for future seekers.
- Support your neighbors by volunteering time or donating to the White Bear Area Food Shelf.
- Pack a lunch for a picnic at Matoska Park. Don’t miss the iconic 19th century gazebo.
- Tap into your creative side with an art class at White Bear Center for the Arts (WBCA). WBCA offers summer classes and family contests, among regular course offerings for kids, teens and families.
- Stretch your legs and explore the shops of downtown White Bear Lake.
- Spend a rainy day watching a new movie at Emagine White Bear.
- Pull out those cowboy boots and head to a summer rodeo at Dead Broke Arena in Hugo.
- Attend a play at Hanifl Performing Arts Center. Hanifl is the home of Lakeshore Players Theatre and often hosts Children’s Performing Arts MN.
- Experience White Bear Lake in a new way by renting a kayak or paddleboard at Tally’s Dockside. Water yoga lessons are also available for people aged 16 and older.
- Enjoy a plethora of events at Manitou Days. The three-week summer festival runs through July 4.
- Head out to a local park or wetland and get to know your neighborhood birds. Visit tiny.cc/ramseycountybird list for a full checklist.