How to maintain a radiant complexion year-round.
We all know winter in Minnesota can be a beautiful sight, but it can also be downright damaging to our skin. Between the subzero temps, frigid winds, dark days and spending more time indoors, it’s common for skin to become dehydrated, irritated and lack luster. Consider some of my top tips to maintain a luminous complexion year-round.
- Use a cream-based cleanser in place of a foaming gel cleanser that often strips the skin of its natural oil barrier.
- Add dry brushing to your weekly routine to benefit from increased lymph flow and gentle exfoliation.
- Try adding CBD into your skin care regimen, as it is a wonderful anti-inflammatory ingredient that can decrease skin irritation and calm redness.
- Always wear SPF 30 or higher on the face, neck, ears and hands. The sun’s rays are magnified by the reflection from snow and ice and can still cause severe burns.
- Avoid or limit using products with high levels of astringents or alcohols, as these ingredients are drying in nature.
- Increase your intake of antioxidant-rich foods like kale, berries, avocado, spinach and citrus for extra protection against winter’s harsh elements. Eat foods that are rich in omega fatty acids 3, 6 and 9 to maintain healthy skin cell membranes.
- To help balance the microbiome of the skin, try adding probiotics to your morning routine to decrease inflammation and keep things running smoothly.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. If you normally run cold, try drinking liquids at room temperature so it’s easier on the system.
- Avoid seasonal breakouts by keeping hats and scarfs clean and routinely laundered.
- Run a humidifier in the bedroom at night so your skin can revel in some humidity while resting and repairing.
Jamie Tatreau is the owner of Sweet Mana Natural Botanicals, a sustainable, small batch skincare company based in Maplewood. Learn more at sweetmana.com.